Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pioneer Trek

Isn't this just a lovely picture??

Since you probably can't tell, I'm the one in the red.  The other 3 (Cheryl, Julie, and Carol Ann) are the other members of the stake YW presidency.

Our stake pioneer trek was 4 days in these dirt-filled plains.  I had a great time with these girls, and we loved watching all the youth.  It was fun to watch the youth work so hard, and then feel so proud of their accomplishments.  I seriously didn't hear a complaint until the last day when it took longer to get home than originally planned.  And, of course, they were just dying for a shower.  I know I was dying for a shower- and it took a long one to get all the dirt out of my nails!

I do have a stronger appreciation for the pioneers and their incredible faith now.  And I have a stronger appreciation for everyone that pulled a handcart and still smiled about it- which was everyone, I think.  I also have a new appreciation for bonnets (keeping all the wind out of my face) and aprons (my pockets held a ton and it was nice to always have something to wipe my hands on), and even my bloomers that I was really not excited about (we had to sit on the ground and you didn't have to worry about flashing anyone in your skirt!)  

I'm so glad to be home, though.  I really despise being dirty- and aside from my new appreciations, I love my comfy clothes and cute high heels!

The best part about coming home was my kids shoving each other to hug me.  The first thing said was Makenna anxiously asking if I got their letters.  They all wrote me a letter and then snuck it into my bag before I left.  Tyler's started with, "Have fun.  Stay alive." 

 The kids wanted to tell me everything they'd done while I was gone with LOTS of details.  After a little bit, though, Tyler stopped and said, "Well, tell us about the trek, mom."  I was so happy that they cared about what I was doing, too.

I took a lot of slack today at church from the men.  They couldn't believe that I'd left Russ with the kids (for 4 days) twice within a few weeks of each other.  Russ has just been a trooper about it, though.  He's never once complained.  And he loves having more time with his kids.  I love you Russ.

9 comments:

Brenna said...

Oh Looner, you are darling in your bonnet. The scene is all too familiar! :) I actually wish I could go back. I am so glad you had such an enriching experience. I can't wait to talk to you more about it. I heard some stuff about your trek and wanted to hear your take on it. "comfy clothes and cute high heels"? Isn't that a contradiction? LOL I loved what your kids had to say and the letters... so cute! We arrived at church late yesterday, and the bishop called my name from the pulpit to bear testimony of the trek. Uh I wasn't expecting that. My heart was pounding. I just posted another post about trek including video this time. Glad you are back safe loves!
love, Prot

lvs2dance said...

How fun! I have always wanted to go on a trek but have never had the opportunity to do it. Good for you! I love the pic, you look great! Way to go Russ for being such a trooper!

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

Just like Jenny, I too have never been but wanted to--so I'll live through you! Tyler cracks me up.. glad he cared about your safety. :)

Jen said...

I agree, you should don your bonnet at all times. Don't you think?

Amberly said...

You make me proud girlfriend! You look great in that attire! Russ is a trooper. Can he come watch my kids?

Jared said...

Sounds like a great adventure, our stake is clearing a trail in our ward for an upcoming trek, we are supposed to help out with the clearing, (too many trees out here). Its tough work all around! But wonderful for the kids and adults. How fun to be involved!

The Curiel's said...

I'm seriously impressed with you for going on the trek!! That must have been SO HOT!

crystal said...

Tyler's note CRACKED ME UP!!! Hee hee. Did that keep you going when you were sick & tired of being dirty?! Oh, that is seriously so funny.

crystal said...

I hope you're keepin' that bonnet, by the way. Sexy.